Try these steps bellow and you can grow your own lemon tree from a seeds. We all are aware of the fact all citrus fruits are rich in magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium vitamins. Two of the best citrus fruits are easy to grow in your yard.
When you taste a fruit that you have grown by yourself, you’ll be able to see the difference between your own fruit and those non-organic ones we buy from the market.
In order to achieve the best results with your lemon tree, buy a 2-3 years old tree. You will also need a clay or plastic pot with a lot of holes in the bottom that is bigger than the root ball of your tree (the tree grows and it will need 30-40 centimeters deep pot and 40-50 centimeters in diameter). Put the tree in the pot and put stones in the drainage container so that the air flows easily. Fill the pot with soil and if you can find use the ones specially made for growing citrus fruits.
These all the preparations you need. The tree will need 8-10 hours sunlight exposure a day and regular watering (but do not over-water them. In 6-9 months your lemons will become ripe, so when you see that they have a full color and a slight give to their touch feel free to take one and give it a try.
However, if you want to grow a tree from a seed, you will need these things:
- An organic lemon. Non-organic ones contain non-germinating seeds.
- Fertile soil for potting that contains vermiculite, perlite and natural fertilizers.
- A planting pot (width – 6 cm; depth –6 cm).
- A seeding pot (width – 60 cm; depth – 30 cm)
- An indoor, sunny location and a grow lamp.
Follow these steps to grow your own lemon tree:
- Moist but don’t soak the potting soil. Fill the smaller pot with it up to an inch under the rim.
- Take a lemon and remove a seed. Remove any pulp residue from the seed.
- Plant the seed right away. It needs to be moist when it enters the soil. Plant it half an inch deep in the middle of the pot. Moist the soil that is above the seed using a spray bottle filled with water.
- Use a plastic wrap to cover the pot and a rubber band to secure the edges. Then poke small holes on the top using a pencil.
- Place the pot in a warm and sunny place.
- Spray it with water from time to time because the soil mustn’t dry out.
- After two weeks it will sprout. When it does, take the plastic foil off. You can use grow lamp if you don’t have place with enough sunlight for your lemon tree.
- Your plant should always be in damp soil and exposed to sunlight for at least 8 hours a day. You also need to give it moderate doses of organic fertilizer.
- Make sure your tree doesn’t get attacked by bugs, prune brown and dead leaves off and use pesticides only when it is absolutely necessary.
- When the plant grows bigger, put it the larger pot. Re-planting is similar to the planting itself. Every plant needs an adequate amount of water, not too much and not too little.
Grow Your Own Mandarins
If you chose to grow your tree indoors, buy a 2-3 years old tree, like with the lemon. These baby trees grow more successfully that seeds. The pot should be prepared the same way as for the lemon tree, and provide the tree with regular sunlight.
Mandarin trees grow about 6 feet high which makes them safe for indoors. Make sure you water them regularly but to do not exaggerate and replant the tree when it outgrows the small pot and roots start to poke out of the drainage holes. When the oranges turn orange pick them right away because in time they will lose their flavor.
Tip: make sure the little button at the top of the oranges stays in its place when you pick them.
These are two easy ways to grow your own citrus fruits at home and have fresh fruits on your table without much effort or money.